UK Student (Tier 4) Dependent Visa

Some details Dependents should be conscious of:

  1. From 1st January 2024, has changed to the UK Student visa rules mean that international students will no longer be able to bring their dependent partner or children to the UK unless they are enrolled in a PhD or postgraduate research program.
  2. Any dependents who are over 16 years old will be able to work full-time in the UK. There are no restrictions on the type of work they can do except: No work as a professional sportsperson or coach.
  3. Dependents have no access to public funds, which means that they cannot claim social benefits from the state, such as unemployment benefits or housing benefits.
  4. In all cases, partners must show that they are in a genuine subsisting relationship and that they intend to live with their partner in the UK.



Student (Tier 4) VISA stands for General student VISA, it’s for the international students (other than UK and EU) who are 16 or over and are willing to pursue their higher education in the UK.

Similarly, Student (Tier 4) dependent VISA is for those who are willing to be in the UK as a part of family for students, e.g.; husband, wife, daughter, son.


Requirements for Student (Tier 4) dependants

To bring the dependents, student must be one of the following:

  • A government-sponsored student starting a course that lasts longer than 6 months.
  • A full-time student on a postgraduate level course (RQF level 7 or above) that lasts 9 months or longer.

If the postgraduate level course starts on or after 1 January 2024, it must be either:

  • A PhD or other doctorate (RQF level 8)
  • A research-based higher degree


Types of Student (Tier 4) dependent VISA

There are two types of STUDENT (TIER 4) dependent VISA for the United Kingdom.

a) Partner Dependent VISA
b) Child Dependent VISA

Partner dependent VISA: Generally, it is for the husband, wife, or civil partner of the students. In order to apply, the evidence of relationship must be provided, i.e. a marriage registration or a civil partnership certificate, along with other required documents.

Child dependent VISA: Child dependent VISA is for the child under 18 years old - including if they were born in the UK during the stay or born in your home country or any place. In order to apply, the evidence of relationship must be provided, i.e., a birth certificate issued by local government or hospital and other verifiable sources, along with other required documents.


Required Documents for VISA applications of a STUDENT (TIER 4) dependent

The document requirements for VISA applications are subject to change, you can refer to for proper updated details. Also, the documents can be dynamic depending case wise. Generally, the required documents for STUDENT (TIER 4) dependent joining later are:

Student Passport copy and Visa Copy/ BRP Card (colored copy)

The dependent would need to provide the main applicant's Passport, and visa decision letter OR a copy of their BRP. Also, these docs are required to fill up the accurate details on the VISA application.

Passport of dependent

Passports are necessary if you travel abroad as they verify the identity and nationality. Along with that, a passport is the mandatory document for the application. The details such as bio data, recent travel history, and visa grant/reject details in the passport are crucial for the application process. The VISA sticker gets attached to your passport once the visa is granted.

TB Test Certificate

TB screening is mandatory for those coming to the UK for 6 months or more. Similarly, it is required for Student (Tier 4) Dependent VISA too. For UK visa applications, TB test done from only either of these location is valid;

  1. IOM; IOM stands for International Organization for Migration. IOM has TB test Centre on two location;
    Kathmandu- Baluwatar
    Jhapa- Damak

    The Test fees are as follows;

    11 years and above Below 11 years Certificate Reissue
    70 USD 50 USD 12 USD
    The fee will be payable in Nepalese rupees at the exchange rate set by the IOM.
  2. Norvic; Norvic International Hospital & Medical College Ltd located in Thapathali Kathmandu also provides the TB test for UK.

    11 years and above Below 11 years Certificate Reissue
    NPR 7,800 NPR 5,200 NPR 1,300
    Female applicants aged 12 to 54 may be asked to pay NPR 650 to do a urine pregnancy test.

Once you pass the TB test; you'll be given a certificate which is valid for 6 months from the date.

Marriage Registration Certificate/Birth Certificate

If you are married or in a civil partnership, you would need to provide the marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate as a proof of relationship. For dependent children, a birth certificate, or equivalent official government-issued documentation, should be used to demonstrate the relationship.

Proof of continued relationship while living apart

Evidence of an ongoing relationship such as evidence of regular communication, visits, holidays, events attended, financial support, joint care of any children the partners have together, or any other evidence showing an ongoing relationship are required too.

Maintenance Funds/Financial Requirements

Partner and child applying for a Student (Tier 4) Dependent VISA must each have a certain amount of money available to them.

  1. £845 a month (for up to 9 months) for courses in London, which totals to £7605.
  2. £680 a month (for up to 9 months) for courses outside London, which totals to £6120.

Relationship Certificate (both side);

Relationship Certificate is a legal document required to prove relationship between family member, husband, wife, children etc. This document is to be prepared from both sides in case of Partner Dependent, and a certificate showing relationship between parents and child is needed in case of Child Dependent.

Cover Letter by Applicant/SOP by dependent

Cover letter/Invitation Letter/Entry Clearance Letter/SOPs etc. are required in order to state and elaborate the intention of entry for dependent and as an invitation from the side of student.

Marriage Photographs (Hard Copy)

It’s required in the case of Partner Dependent, The following photos are to be submitted at VFS Centre as a supporting proof to prove that the couple are genuine;
a) Marriage Ritual Photos
b) Family Photos (both sides)
c) Couple After Marriage

Student CAS Letter

CAS stands for Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies, it has the information of students sponsor, including university name, address, sponsorship number, license number of the University, course start and end date of the course and so on. These details are required for the accurate form fill up and overall process.

Student Enrollment Letter from the University

An enrolment letter is a document that verifies the student’s enrolment in the institution, program of study, semester, or term, beginning and end date of program. This document is required for the dependents VISA application to ensure that the student is currently enrolled in the course and is genuine.

Accommodation confirmation/tenancy agreement

Evidence should demonstrate how the student and the dependent can legally occupy the accommodation. This could be via a copy of the property deeds, mortgage documents, tenancy agreement and/or letter from the landlord confirming that rent payments are up to date and the applicant/Dependent is allowed to occupy the property.
You can find the sample of documents in the following link: Sample Documents for UK

(Any documents not in English must be accompanied by official certified translations.)



It takes a few steps to obtain a Student (Tier 4) Dependent visa for the UK, including completing forms, gathering supporting documents, making HIS/VISA Fee payments, and showing up for appointments. You will obtain your visa and be permitted to enter the UK to join your partner after waiting patiently for a decision.
For more information, please contact us- 01-5913733/01-5913833 or Visit our office.

Thank You!

Sujan Bista
Admission Head(B2C)
Bizz Education
British Council Certified-15814 (Certificate Code)

kc Aecc British Council New Isana TITI IREN A ministry of education approved educational consultancy Migration Agents Registration Authority icef